Friday, December 12, 2014

Blog Post #7: The Wonders of Biodiversity



In my story of the seed, the plant that I am using is Brassica oleracea. I can predict that his parents had purple and white stem because my plant has a shade of purple and white. That's why his parents might have had some combination of these traits.  Most of my plant's traits would have come from his dominant parent. My plant will likely make more seeds and pass on its traits on to the next generation of plants. Whether my plant's genetic offspring look like it depends on what is inherited from each of its parents.  They might look different because of genetic variation in the plant's gene pool that occurred over hundreds of years. The plant started with a common ancestor, but variation occurred as meiosis pairing took place over and over again. That would cause many different  forms of brassica oleracea from the same common ancestor.

No comments:

Post a Comment